Sunday, July 3, 2011

Wk 1 Copyright Issues

The issue of Copyright was very clear to me until I attended Full Sail. I was taught as long as you give credit, name and proper reference, then it was okay to use. However, this topic has become very grey to me since receiving the warning of an automatic zero for any assignment that is infringing upon someone else's works.

The only thing that resonated with me in reference to copyright was purchasing music rather than copying it. I could trace the ill-effects of this action and therefore could understand the law behind it. I always was confused on how the government kept up with all of the piracy crimes. I didn't think about an actual position existing within the White House that gathered data. I thought it kind of ended with the lawyers, and of course the court system if it was necessary.

However, now that I am teaching, I see countless materials that I think would supplement the lessons/units for the better. Before this Master's, I just used it using the clause, "for educational purposes". I was thoroughly thrown aback when in the video I heard that if something can be taught without a "clipping" then it doesn't fall under Fair usage. My question is who is the one determining whether something is important to a lesson and can be taught without it? What if the entire movie is relevant to the cause? I also would like to know is it really that easy to contact these people? Every time I have heard a presentation on this topic, the presenter makes it seem like the author or creator is easy to reach and the information for reaching them is readily available.


At this juncture, I feel like it's better to just create just about everything one utilizes in life in order to avoid breaking some law. In a strained economy, I feel like people may really start the hunt for people using their works to get some extra cash. I am glad that this subject is being covered, however, I feel like I will have to watch these videos several times over to really grasp all that is being said. For some, this topic may seem clear. I am not one of those people.

I am no more confused than ever since watching the "Eyes on the Prize" documentary. I remember watching these videos in school annually and having stirring debates about the ramifications of the injustices witnessed. To see that this and other life-changing films no longer have a place on TV or home video hurts my soul. The future generations will be left in the dark on this and other issues. I don't think a "clipping" will do a lesson justice. As previously stated, I guess I will have to go back through with my fine-toothed comb and analyze what I have heard. Hopefully I am over-reacting a bit, and it is not as bad as it first seemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment