Erica's Post: So as I watched all the videos I kind of wrote down just a montage of the thoughts and ideas that I had. Which I share with with you now, with hopefully some better grammar than in my notes :)...
Session 1
Copyrighting seems to fairly common sense. Don't steal other people stuff. I mean that doesn't seem so hard.
Interesting thing I learned. If I make my own stories but they are based on another work, it is stealing that copyrighted work. I always kind of had the thought of I was still the one creating it so its mine.
With all the copywritten material out there it is becoming harder and harder to come up with new ideas that completely are not based on anything else. Like in our game month, we had to come up with a new game and I really struggled because every game idea I had I realized was off a game I had previously played.
At what point does it become something you created but also had like 2 moves or notes or words in the same order as another person on this earth. You didn't know anything about this other persons work nor were you trying to copy it whatsoever and then get attacked.
I think I did a lot of projects in high school and for my undergrad that I might have violated some copyright laws. They always told us we could use anything as long as we said where we got it from. But it might be considered fair use because of how it was used.
The fair use policy, saying if you could take away the material and still teach something without then you can not use it at all seems confusing. I mean we dont need any extraneous material like that necessarily to teach but it helps further student understanding. What do schools have to do then to get to show videos within the classroom?
Yay for creative commons. Great place to really share things and break new barriers.
im excited to check out some of the music sites there. many artists are so crazy about sharing their stuff and allowing downloading. And im cheap, so maybe I will find some good new artists still willing to share for free.
Larry Lessig talked about how the supreme count said that the ancient rule of your land is your up to the sky had no place in modern society once that law did not fit them anymore with the invention of airplanes. So what or when will the courts change what they like to fit them for new ideas on permissions.
Produce for the love, not for the money. Best quote of that video. Wait is that copywritten? lol
My Response: "I think I did a lot of projects in high school and for my undergrad that I might have violated some copyright laws. They always told us we could use anything as long as we said where we got it from. But it might be considered fair use because of how it was used. " Yes, Yes, and Yes Erica! This is exactly what I was told and taught. Had it not been for the bright idea to attend grad school, this would have continued to be my thinking. I agree with your first statement. Copyright simply means don't steal that which is not yours and do not take credit for it in any way. THAT part is easy. I am the #1 cheerleader. I just get loss when it comes to incorporating ideas into lessons. My mind starts wandering into real technical questions and it all becomes overwhelming. The fair use policy is where I threw up both of my hands. Creative commons did bring a little light to the situation. I guess I fall into the category of its for the kids, or simply to help someone else. If you just said that I created it, I would honestly be okay. I have to honestly find a way to better understand these laws especially since I am teaching children. I want to provide the best education and the clearest explanations as well. (You didn't properly reference your last quote! LOL)
No comments:
Post a Comment