Friday, July 22, 2011

Wk 3 The Art of Possibility Ch 5-8: Angela Dixon

Posted by Angela: I remember when one of my daughter's was around five years old. She looked at me and said she wanted to be a doctor when she grew up. I was so happy to hear her say those words. I knew what I needed to do to help her fulfilled her dreams. However, that fairytale never came true because one of her lovely teacher cast a dark shadow over my daughter's head and told her "if you become a doctor then everyone will die!" My daughter never told me what that teacher said until years later for the fear of what I may have done. In the book of The Art of Possibility it talked about a child is an exquisite attention-getting device. (p. 82). A child relies on strong leadership to help children to discover who they are and achieve their goals. However, when that leaders or role models shatter a child’s dreams it affects them. In adulthood, unless the child has a strong will, they grow up not fulfilling their goals and live their life in a box. I like the Rule Number 6 “Don’t take yourself so seriously” because I spent most of my life trying to fit in or live my life to someone else expectation. During my undergraduate days I tried to be an overachiever and constantly let myself down. I had to do a calculating self and ask myself “Why am I not aiming for my goal and what can I do to change this problem?” Once I stop taking life so seriously that’s when I was able to aim for my goal without stressing myself out. I changed the way I thought of myself from the scarfs of my childhood life and realizing only I control my path.

My Response: Oh Angela!! I am so sorry that happened to your daughter. She had good reason to be afraid of what you would have done, because as an about to be mom, I had a few words for her “instructor”. Children believe…and I hate that we lose that boldness somewhere along the way. Their dreams are crystal clear in their mind and without a measured path most of the time. They are just worried about being what it is they said they would be. I believe had I taken more of that path of thought that I would not feel like I too spent my life trying to fit and be accepted and acceptable at all times. Even after doing things with the measurement in mind, I feel empty. Rule number 6 is my husband’s motto when it comes to my quest for an improved quality of life and a better me. I know my problem…time to overcome, without stressing myself out ☺

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Angela,

    A child relies on strong leadership to help children to discover who they are and achieve their goals.I think that you have a good grounding in what is important in life and how to order your goals. Thank You for sharing.


    I wanted to share with you one of my favorite poems by Langston Hughes.

    Life is fine! Fine as wine!, every time I read it I think about all the ways to give up and the reasons why I can't.

    Life is fine! Fine as wine!
    By Langston Hughes
    I went down to the river,
    I set down on the bank.
    I tried to think but couldn't,
    So I jumped in and sank.

    I came up once and hollered!
    I came up twice and cried!
    If that water hadn't a-been so cold
    I might've sunk and died.

    But it was Cold in that water! It was cold!

    I took the elevator
    Sixteen floors above the ground.
    I thought about my baby
    And thought I would jump down.

    I stood there and I hollered!
    I stood there and I cried!
    If it hadn't a-been so high
    I might've jumped and died.

    But it was High up there! It was high!

    So since I'm still here livin',
    I guess I will live on.
    I could've died for love--
    But for livin' I was born

    Though you may hear me holler,
    And you may see me cry--
    I'll be dogged, sweet baby,
    If you gonna see me die.

    Life is fine! Fine as wine! Life is fine!

    I invite you to make a comment on my blog... http://web.me.com/aliciawestbrooks/Queens_World/Queens_BLOG/Entries/2011/7/29_MAC_wk4-1_-_Discussion_Board_Quickies__my_dream_teaching_presentation_environment.html

    Great Job I enjoyed reading.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete