Saturday, July 24, 2010

BP8_TinyChat




My AR Project is centered around the idea of improving parent involvement. I recently resigned from a position at a particular Title I school. I have never been so disappointed in my life with parents. The school had an attendance of over 400 students, and my first open house, there were FOUR parents who attended. Four, out of minimum 400. I was thoroughly mad! I also had parents who could not pick me out of an option of 3 people. They did not take the time to get to know who they were dropping their children off with day in and day out. I don't know about you, but I am at least going to know what they look like. (at the very least!)

I asked a few parents, teachers, friends, etc. why they thought this problem was just that, a problem. Many gave answers like no time, too busy, teachers are not really available when it is convenient, etc. Well, I am willing to accept the last one. So in an effort to combat the excuses, I mean reasons, I have been given, I would love to implement this TinyChat.




TinyChat allows the user to create a chat room. In my case, I would create a chat room, pass out the link to my parents, and make myself available at a time that is convenient for the majority of them. I like the idea of meeting with more than one parent at a time, because parent camaraderie is important. They can get together and be a resource to one another.

This chat can be video, audio, or desktop typing. I would schedule a time for this twice a week at the most. However, it would be available for them to get together at any point. This tool would cancel out at least one of the above reasons for not being an active part in the education of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment